Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia
Date published: 21-Aug-2018
ABOUT THE ROLE :
Our GWS business is seeking a highly self-motivated and energetic individual to join us as a key and trusted legal adviser to our GWS APAC leadership teams. You will be expected to support our business identify and manage legal risks in a practical and business focused manner by providing advice that is professional, independent, commercial and solution oriented.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Hands-on experience working closely with clients and local business unit leads in APAC. You will need to understand and maintain full alignment with our business teams on our strategies, goals and needs when providing legal advice
• Lead local contract reviews and support regional/ global high-value and complex contract negotiations with multi-jurisdictional elements.
• Ensure our business conducts its operations in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. You will be assisting with the development and recommendation of local policies and position on legal issues
• Advise on local regulations, prepare and file notification/ approvals with regulators and support on investigations;
• Advise on a wide range of employment law including employment contract, HR policies and processes, labour union, restructuring, discrimination, performance management, disciplinary actions, terminations and separation agreements
• Lead and oversee litigious matters, proceedings, filings etc in APAC
• Prepare and deliver training to local and regional business stakeholders on key local topics and support corporate secretarial needs and prepare reports to the boards of directors
• Managing relationships with external counsel and be an active and key member of the regional and global GWS Legal team to ensure that the legal experience and issues faced in the sub-region for relevant topics (e.g. severance, taxes etc) are shared on a global level.
EDUCATION, BAR ADMISSION AND EXPERIENCE
• Malaysian qualified lawyer with at least 10 years of post-qualification experience in a multi-national environment (either in law firms or an in-house legal department)
• Excellent command of English, both spoken and written
• Commercial lawyer with strong contract negotiations skills and comfortable in advising on employment matters.
• Able to participate in and influence the decision-making process with appropriate clients and stakeholders at all levels
• Strategic thinker with strong problem solving and project management skills
• Adaptable, quick learner and can work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines